Weighting4Me

the adventures of Chubbette as she persues (yet again) weight loss. I just want to get under 200 pounds for chrissake, is that too much to ask?

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

File me under "the fat girl"


It happened again the other night. I was at a social function and the stick-woman standing next to me at the punchbowl looked over and said "Oh, hello, you're Beth, right?" To which I replied, "No, my name is not Beth, I'm ______." She looked confused and I could see her flipping through her mental filing cabinet--you know--through the file where she's dumped all the fat people with the post-it note "fattie" attached. Then she said "Oh, I could have sworn you were Beth."
Here's the thing: Beth and I look nothing alike save for one feature: we're both fat girls. But she has different hair length, texture and color, I am at least two inches taller than she, she has no sense of style, dresses like a garage sale refugee and wears glitter on her face and neck every day. (Were I 12 years old or otherwise totally devoid of even a hint of common fucking sense I might consider the glitter.) The outrage for me is that during my fat years, I have repeatedly been mistaken for other women who have absolutely nothing in common with me looks-wise other than fatness. I have been mistaken for women decades older and younger than I, blondes, brunettes, redheads, short, tall, it does not matter to some people. All that they see is a fat girl.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home